Want to help your students find and evaluate good resources
- Use the right tools - Google isn't really the best place for elementary students.
- Check the Symbaloo from "And I Still...Haven't Found...What I'm Looking For" - Online Research Skills
- Check Livebinder from Foundations of American History Project - December 3rd/4th 2010
- The Teacher Channel - "Improve Research Skills with Effective Keywords"
- The Teacher Channel - "Using Critical Thinking to Find Trustworthy Websites"
- "Got Credibility?" - website evaluation Google document for students. Click on "File" - "Make a Copy" to create your own version to use. (Document adapted from Catlin Tucker)
- Catlin Tucker - "Google Search: 10 Questions & Answers to Help You Search Smarter"
- SMUSD Digital Literacy - Online Professional Development
- Go to cloud.smusd.org
- Student username = email@example.com (#### = last 4 digits of student ID)
- Student password = birthday as yyyymmdd
- See the SMUSD.org - Technology Department - Video Tutorials and How-to Articles for more on accessing the SMUSD Cloud and Google Apps
Want to start blogging with students?
- While there are blogging features available as part of Schoolwires and My Big Campus, my non-SMUSD connected recommendation is Kidblog.org.
- Can control how private/open it is
- No student emails needed
- No ads
- Parent access option
- Classroom blog content suggestions
- Lesson plans to help your kids get started with blogging and commenting
- Commenting guidelines
- Evaluating student blogging efforts
- Connect your class with others around the globe by signing up with Quadblogging.com
Looking for history-related virtual field-trips?
- Library of Congress - You can request a video conference on one of the listed topics
- National Parks Service - Multiple topics are offered related to American History
- Center for Interactive Learning and Collaboration (CILC) - you can search for a topic (ex: American History) and find content providers. Please note: many of these include a cost or may no longer be available.
- Colonial Williamsburg - cost involved
- "A Teacher's Ultimate Destination for Virtual Field Trips"